About A. H. Belo | The Belo Foundation

The Belo Foundation, established in 1952, was originally named the G. B. Dealey Foundation in honor of A. H. Belo Corporation's longtime majority owner and founder of The Dallas Morning News. Its name was changed in 1983 to The Dallas Morning News-WFAA Foundation; later it was renamed the A. H. Belo Corporation Foundation and then, simply, The Belo Foundation in 2000. During The Belo Foundation's more than 60 years of philanthropic efforts, it has awarded over $40 million in grants.

The Foundation is funded by an endowment created by Belo Corp. (sold in 2013 to Gannett Co., Inc.) and A. H. Belo Corporation and governed by four trustees who are current or former officers of the two companies. The Foundation makes grants primarily in Dallas, Texas, the city in which the companies were founded.

Areas of Interest

The Belo Foundation focuses the majority of its grant-making on college-level journalism education and the development of urban parks.

Recent Signature Projects:

  • Lead gift to The University of Texas at Austin College of Communication to establish the Belo Center for New Media.
  • Grant to the Division of Journalism at Southern Methodist University in Dallas to assist in the development of its applied journalism program.
  • Funding to design and construct Belo Garden, a 1.7-acre city park in Downtown Dallas, www.belogarden.com

Major Gifts



Trustees
Robert W. Decherd, Chairman
Marian Spitzberg, President
Guy H. Kerr
Dunia A. Shive

Staff
Amy M. Meadows
Vice President &
Executive Director

Jan Tallichet,
Office Manager & Senior
Executive Assistant

The Belo Foundation
901 Main Street, Suite 609
Dallas, TX 75202
(214) 977-8267
(214) 760-1254 (fax)


Want to learn about the grant application process?
Click here